[thelist] CMS Recommendations

Will willthemoor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 11:18:21 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Todd Richards <todd at promisingsites.com> wrote:
> By the way, has anyone used, or have feelings about ExpressionEngine?  No,
> not free but very reasonable.  And they supposedly can do what I'm after.
> I've read good things about them but haven't talked with anyone personally
> about it.  And I haven't had time to personally download and set up...

Expression engine is pretty great. Lots of things are not obvious as
far as custom implementations go (at least it wasn't to me). I think
they agree as they've been working on a really huge overhaul for EE2.
I've stopped recommending it to clients until I get a chance to see
what they do there. Some things about it are just ridiculous to me for
production work. For instance, it hard codes paths into the DB - a lot
of them. Need to move from dev to production? Enjoy the pleasure of
running 15 find and replaces on your SQL. Normally work on dev and
push to prod? Enjoy that everytime.

EE1.6 is a great CMS with (I think) a few serious shortcoming but EE2
looks to be a total and complete win. I'm actually excited about CMS.
FML.