[thelist] pricing for web sites?

Brian White bwhite at webhostingsolutions.com
Wed Sep 23 11:13:14 CDT 2009

>Something obvious that I missed - waiting on clients.  Ouch.
>
>You also have to consider how things work with clients who linger,
>professional procrastinators.  You may develop something great,
>takes 40 hours, but you're in content limbo.  If you don't charge
>until the job is done, then some jobs may never finish, not because
>you didn't do your part.

This is something we've often struggled with. Some clients never
completely finish their Web site content and leave a project
languishing for a long time. Very few actually provide all content
in a timely manner. Although we do collect 50% of the project's
agreed upon final cost up front, naturally we'd like to avoid the "we
don't have all the content" situation as much as possible.

I'd be interested in knowing how some of you handle this. Do you
include a financial penalty in your contract if all content is not
supplied by a certain date? Do you require all content from the
client before even agreeing to start a project? Other ideas or
strategies?

Thanks.
--

Brian White