[thelist] Just moved from Vista to Ubuntu -Web Dev Help???

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 09:02:54 CDT 2009

> Overall, I would suggest avoiding using whatever package manager
> Ubuntu uses, and install everything directly: MySQL binary, Apache
> and PHP from source. It'll take you a little longer but it'll be worth it
> in the long run.

In my experience the packages are OK for simple local testing. Unless
you need something very specific...

> Re: editors -- I love jEdit for its configurability, but also use NetBeans
> and vi(m) at times.

+1 for jEdit. Also I use Xfce--I like it better than Gnome or KDE. It
also Windows-like, which may at least be good for a newbie. I am
considering dwm [1] but that's very geeky. :)

[1] http://dwm.suckless.org/