[thelist] Just moved from Vista to Ubuntu -Web Dev Help???

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 14:12:18 CDT 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, at 15:24, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Fred Jones
> <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Overall, I would suggest avoiding using whatever package manager
>>> Ubuntu uses, and install everything directly: MySQL binary, Apache
>>> and PHP from source. It'll take you a little longer but it'll be
>>> worth it
>>> in the long run.
>>
>> In my experience the packages are OK for simple local testing. Unless
>> you need something very specific...
>
> My aversion to most package managers is primarily because of the
> assumption you'll only ever have one version of something on your
> system, and being dependent on the packager to make releases of
> new versions available.

Different configs are something else, but otherwise:

> It's better to ...
>  be able to install the very latest release immediately
> (particularly when it's a security bugfix). IMO.

Debian-based distros are *very* good at this. Neat Debian Stable
particularly so. And don't require you to proactively manually scan
for updates.

Updates for new whizziness; not so much, but Ubuntu will at least give
you the latest (but tested) goodness every 6 months.

Cheers
Martin