[thelist] Just moved from Vista to Ubuntu -Web Dev Help???

Kevin Timmins kipper_timmins at live.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 14:53:32 CDT 2009

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Jay Turley <jayturley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Setting up our server at work was less
>> troublesome because there's a nice server guide I could follow. :)
>
> Then why not just use that? Just curious.
>
> Overall, I would suggest avoiding using whatever package manager
> Ubuntu uses, and install everything directly: MySQL binary, Apache
> and PHP from source. It'll take you a little longer but it'll be worth it
> in the long run.
>
> Re: editors -- I love jEdit for its configurability, but also use NetBeans
> and vi(m) at times.

+1 for Vi(m) in the terminal, its great for over ssh :)
as regards to the repositories, ubuntu only really releases stuff it has
tested and deems safe, so the repository installs should be just fine,
if you want to get them in the terminal its just
sudo apt-get install [name of program]
eg
sudo apt-get install mysql

its fairly helpful in how to get things and install them, you probably want
apache too.
kev