[thelist] Just moved from Vista to Ubuntu -Web Dev Help???

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 09:40:36 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> However, there have been intermediate security fixes *for Debian* that
> took care of that. You shouldn't mix fixes with functionality changes.

I'm not particularly familiar with Debian in general -- where would I
find information to confirm that?

Because if so, that's extremely misleading -- Tomcat includes any
security fixes in dot releases, not separately, so 5.5.26, distributed
by anyone, would be presumed not to have anything in later builds.
If it does... what a recipe for confusion.

That's aside from the fact that security fixes may *cause* functionality
changes, and need to be evaluated and tested like any other release.

Sorry, but this is only confirming my dim view of this whole packaging
approach. :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan