[thelist] Stats

Robert Lee rob at rob-n-steph.net
Thu Oct 1 08:43:30 CDT 2009

Fred,

Not viewed traffic is bots, worms, etc (anything without a user viewing the
page). I like the fact that Awstats removes this from the main numbers,
since this doesn't reflect real visitors to the site.

My issue with analytics is that you add extra overhead (both from a
programming standpoint, and from a page load / bandwidth standpoint) to
achieve something that is already being done for you (as long as Apache or
IIS logging is available). Of the three that are on most hosting packages
(Analog, Awstats, and Webalizer) I personally like AW stats the best. There
is a lot more that can be done with it if you get into the config file.

As for the raw logs, yes you would have to use an app to analyze them for
you. They can be useful if you are looking for something that the stats app
doesn't tell you, like the IP of some bot that ignores directives, or
referral spammers, etc..., so that they can be blocked!

HTH,
Rob