[thelist] CMS Recommendations

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Sun Oct 4 10:52:58 CDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Todd Richards wrote:

> There has been mention of using FTP for the file uploads.  That is
> certainly
> a possibility, although I guess I was thinking of a way to have
> everything
> under one "admin" site to avoid multiple links/logins for them.  I
> actually
> maintain a site for another venue, and use FTP to upload their pics
> all at
> once.  I just assume it's too much of a hassle for someone else.  But
> looking back on it, that really shouldn’t be that big of an issue.

My corporate site has a bit of functionality where a non-techie
employee has to upload data to our site.

I have an Excel script that turns a worksheet into a csv data file,
and then they upload it via FTP.

For FTP I simply installed FireFTP in the employee's copy of Firefox,
and created an FTP account that points only to the one folder that the
employee needs to upload to.  As an added  step my Excel script gives
the csv file a custom file extension, and then on the server side the
import script (which runs once an hour or manually) only looks for
data with that extension.  Which avoids problems when the employee
inevitably uploads the Excel file instead of the csv.

All of this is a long way of saying that having an employee use FTP is
quite doable.  Give them a handy bookmark in their browser.  Click.
Drag files from left side to right side.  Done.

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/