[thelist] file type and space analysis on my web server?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Oct 5 12:49:56 CDT 2009

Will wrote:
> if worse comes to worse, you could just pull the whole thing down and
> find them (the biggies) locally. then go delete them one by one.
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Joel Canfield <joel at bizba6.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Nan Harbison <nan at nanharbison.com> wrote:
>>

>>> You can do this in most FTP programs, I use WS_FTP, I actually bit the
>>> bullet and paid for the pro version.
>>> Nan
>>>
>>> I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. You're saying that with
>>>
>> your version of WS_FTP you can get a list of all files on your entire
>> hosting space, from the root through all subdirectories, output in some
>> sortable fashion? I'm still using my antique version of CuteFTP (or, when my
>> hosting service breaks, I use FTP from DOS) and Cute doesn't seem to have
>> anything remotely like this. It only lets me look at each folder, one at a
>> time, which doesn't do me much good since I've got over 500 folders at
>> various levels of the various sites.
>>
>> joel
>> --

This is reasonably easy on UNIX/Linux to write a shell script. :)

Not be Windows-smart myself, another option however might be to write a
PHP script to go through the file system and report on nodes/files by
both quantity and size.

Does PHP have an equivalent to 'find'? Something like "find . -type f
-print | wc -l"

Either way PHP can certainly list files in a folder.  Hopefully I'm not
blowing smoke on a windows box.

You can run it as a cronjob.

--
Bob Meetin

Standards - you gotta love em with so many to choose from!
Rocket Science - the Art of Managing Distractions