[thelist] A question of semantics and h1 tags

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Oct 20 22:25:27 CDT 2009

Paul Bennett wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> You can / should only have one h1 per page (as per the (X)HTML spec and
> better for SEO)
>
> Something like this may suffice?

>     <h1>Smelling like a Rose</h1>
>     <h2>Paragraph title, etc</h2>
>
> Eg: the entry title is the best summary of the content of the page, and
> each header under that is a summary of the next paragraph.
>
> Paul

Thanks.  That jives with what I was thinking and the reason for the
post.  I have seen similar in other template systems as well.  What
seems to happen in some instances is that when you mix and match modules
and various template sources you sometimes run into this compounded
effect.  Fortunately it's fairly easy to resolve.

Just to be sure about the SEO benefits I googled "seo h1 per page" and
numerous results support one per page.  One even suggested that an
example with three was approaching spam - the dealkiller.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Standards - you gotta love em with so many to choose from!
Rocket Science - the Art of Managing Distractions