[thelist] testing older verions of IE for css (was css menu problem)

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:09:31 CDT 2009

[NB: I described the hack bacdly in my previous email. Please follow link
for a proper explanation]

Hiya Bob,

The advantage of this method is that when you need to test, debug, edit or
re-write parts of your CSS, you don't have to look in 2 or 3 different CSS
files and the head of the html itself to see exactly what's affecting any
given element in all browsers.

The idea is that in a given CSS rule, a valid CSS property is given (the one
that works on most browsers). Then if IE needs a separate value you supply
it in a format only it understands. Then if IE6 needs another value, you
give it in a way only IT understands, etc. There are methods of isolating
plenty of browsers (including webkit and ie5.5) using entirely in-CSS code.
The theory is nicely explained and exampled in this article:

http://www.ejeliot.com/blog/63

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com