[thelist] SEO and Blogs - Internal or External?

April Lyall april at farstrider.org
Wed Dec 2 12:23:50 CST 2009

If he's setting up the blog for the purpose of increasing search engine rank
on his main website, then the blog really should appear in the same domain,
ie http://hissite.com/ would get a boost from the blog at
http://hissite.com/blog/.  We didn't do that, and every SEO consultant we've
worked with since has come back saying "You messed it up!" ;)

If he's setting up the blog for the purpose of increasing traffic directly
to the blog, it's fine for it to appear on a subdomain or new domain ie
http://blog.hissite.com/ or http://hissite.wordpress.com/

Server and domain aren't necessarily the same thing, but, getting a third
party hosting service to appear at http://hissite.com/blog/ would be
complicated. Maybe impossible? I haven't actually researched it.