No subject

Mon Dec 7 20:36:37 CST 2009

rules are supposed to come at the top of the stylesheet;
everything that follows is added-on to it (unless it overrides
what was in the @import stylesheet). People often
(incorrectly) append them at the end of the stylesheet to
avoid creating 2 stylesheets for different browsers. While I
believe this works most, if not all, of the time, I think it will
also keep your pages from validating in the w3c CSS validator.

>in conclusion, please point out WHY i need to seperate the
two, or why
>it doesn't matter. (i.e. i can stick everything in one css file
and let
>the browser deal with it.)

I'd follow the suggestion of many on this list and create a
page that will first communicate its content independent of its
styling, use an @import rule to style for newer browsers, and
letting older browsers get a plain, unstyled page. This will
allow people in older browsers to still get at the "meat" of your
page without you having to explicitly code for them (saving
you lots of hours of binge drinking, hair pulling, and cursing in
the process).

<tongue.in.cheek> Obviously this may not work for you if you
have a large NN4.x user base, but IMHO NN4.x users are
probably used to seeing a lot of things more than a little
messed up, so why should I alter their typical user experience
(a bad thing, according to usibility experts) and try to make
something look and work properly in their browser? I'd think
the confusion of something working properly would probably
scare them away from your site and drive them back into the
hole that they've been living in for the past few years :-)
</tongue.in.cheek>

Nathan