[thelist] Hosting?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 14:21:12 CST 2009

On 9 Dec 2009, at 15:13, Matt Warden wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:45 AM, Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
>> ...and are really, really confident that you're not going to get linked from anywhere popular.
>>
>> Non-capped variable cost contracts that don't have natural limits are *the* most risky for the buyer.
>
> I guess what you are saying is that other hosts might take down the
> site after the quota has been met, but they might instead charge an
> overage fee.

Yep - that was the assumption I'd made. Infinitely variable pricing where I don't have control over the inputs worry the pants off me.

> In the former case where the site is temporarily shut
> down, I guess it would depend on the site whether that is more of a
> risk than the hosting cost.

Yep - while a temporary shutdown for a small personal site might be an inconvenience, in many/most cases, it's better than an unlimited financial liability. But YMMV.

> See also: "What happens if I get slashdotted?" which claims that such
> an event would cost the customer about $10.
> https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/about/faq#Slashdot

It's the "on average" bit that worries me - it is most definitely not the same as a guarantee... although if you get shutdown once you reach your quota, then that's a different thing.

Cheers
Martin