[thelist] Multi-language site structure

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Tue Dec 22 12:57:36 CST 2009

On 22 Dec 2009 at 10:33, Joel Canfield wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Meshack <meshack at hrts.org> wrote:
>
> > Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any other approaches to
> > multi-language sites?
>
> what about putting the content for each language in a database and
> populating the same pages with language-specific content?

not to speak for the original poster, but my experience is that
translated (localized) sites rarely have a 1:1 content correlation
with the native language site....

often alternate language sections of the site have a sub-set of the
overall content... even if the goal is to translate all content, once
new press releases go up in the native tongue, unless you get
translations to other languages immediately, then your site is
already out of sync with itself...

FWIW, i agree, the site should be driven from a db, but that was
outside of the scope of the question...

this site has a sub-set of content in other languages and is built
using files, not using a database:
http://www.dynapurge.com/

i would recommend using the appropriate language codes in the paths
and breadcrumbs... what we chose for this site 10 years ago wasn't
fully thought out...