[thelist] mapping out an oracle database

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Feb 27 04:43:08 CST 2010

On 27 Feb 2010, at 03:15, r937 wrote:

> as long as you're explaining TLAs, martin, how about this one --
> > Having MPIs on a mission-critical system is not fun

Sorry - Major Production Incidents.

Brand name client I worked for has a major time critical thing that everyone buys their stuff for. One year, they had an outage on their Web Platform on the key day. Fortunately, nothing to do with what we'd built, but I saw the levels of stress amongst the people who had to explain that they didn't have a clue why it was out, what could be done to bring it back, and (when it *did* come back, what circumstances might trigger another outage and what could be done to prevent it) to the CEO. Hourly.

Imagine a retailer being forced to close for the whole week before Christmas - like that, only compressed into one day. Fortunately for them: their site sucked, and most sales are via the Call Centre, so a reduced impact.

Cheers
Martin