[thelist] flash video and IE7 / IE8

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Mar 4 12:08:59 CST 2010

I have a site where I need to display some flash videos.

It works fine with IE6 and Firefox, but with IE8 although the space is
there all that shows is a red X.  In IE7 it does less with more. You
actually have to move the cursor over that imagined spot where the video
would be and you get a tooltip like "Click to activate and use the control".

These are true vanilla installs of IE7 and IE8;  it will commonly say
something like with no addons, blah...

The question, Is this a problem with me not going through a routine to
complete its installation (no Flash) or is a problem of not having the
right embed code or a missing parameter making it display the "Install
Plugin" link - or other?  The code looks like:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="/videos/whatever.swf" width="483" height="402"  id="whatever">
<param name="play" value="false" >
<param name="movie" value="/videos/whatever.swf" >
</object>

Thx, Bob