[thelist] flash video and IE7 / IE8

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 15:49:58 CST 2010

If you've got Flash working in one instance of IE, you won't be
needing to (re)install the player to get another instance working. It
occurs to me one of your IEs is a dodgy version - bear in mind that
the Trident rendering engine is mostly contained in a specific .dll
and installing different versions of IE on the same machine will
result in unreliable rendering behaviour. However this shouldn't even
be an issue because you can set IE8 to render as 7 - there's a
rendering option under development tools (F12). Unlike various third
parties attempts at getting several versions of IE on the same OS,
this is completely accurate in replicating IE7 down to JS processing,
and has the advantage of coming with fantastic debugger/DOM inspector.

If you are (rightly) concerned about user experience on pages
featuring Flash you should provide alternative content, even if that
content is just 'your browser isn't rendering Flash - you can get the
plugin here'. As you say, getting a blank box with a red X is crap for
everyone. There's a decent JS method for injecting Flash if it's
available called SWFobject you might be interested in. Don't have the
link to hand but a quick search should through up the right results.

Regards,
Barney

Sent from my iPod