[thelist] Extract Data from MP3 in Classic ASP

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Tue Mar 9 07:09:31 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com>wrote:

> Now they want
> me to extract embedded images from MP3 files and display them on the
> site. A reasonable request. I think that getID3() does this in PHP but
> I can't find such a tool for ASP. The server doesn't support PHP nor
> does the client want to change servers.

The Google term you're missing is VBScript; when you get to this level of
coding, touching the file system etc, I've noticed that folks refer to the
scripting language (vbscript) instead of the file type (asp)

Here are a couple pages that have some info; this is not a trivial project
you're up against.

http://www.motobit.com/tips/detpg_change-id3-tags-script/ shows how to do
it, if you've got access to and can register on the server a the
file CDDBControl.dll

and here's another one, more detailed, requiring the same DLL to be
registered

http://blogs.msdn.com/anthonw/archive/2006/08/26/enumerating-folder-structures-with-vbscript-to-extract-id3-information-from-mp3-files.aspx

Here's another take; a COM object (you'll be reading your Microsoft IIS
manual for this one) which allows VBScript access to the tags:
http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/

Google 'vbscript' and 'id3' for even more

joel