[thelist] [thechat] Jaspersoft BI Toolset?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 12 20:13:54 CST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 20:17 -0500, Matt Warden wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > The entire point of free software solutions is not having to pay
> > licensing fees.
>
> I can't agree with that. There's nothing wrong with providing a
> valuable product and asking customers to pay for its use.

For GPL projects, voluntarily supporting future development and paying
for optional support contracts I have no issue with. The entire point of
free software and the GPL is freedom.

Making a crippleware GPL version of the "enterprise" edition? That goes
over the line. Even if technically legal, I consider it morally wrong.

There *are* commercially supported free software projects (GNU Ada being
the best known example). The way Jaspersoft is abusing the GPL, however,
shows obvious lack of clue.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>