[thelist] Mac advice?

Simon MacDonald simonmacdonald at uk2.net
Tue Mar 30 05:12:06 CDT 2010

Any views guys?

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Simon MacDonald
Sent: 28 March 2010 6:46 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] (no subject)

Hi Folks,

I've been using Windows PCs since they started (even used CPM boxes, before
that),- currently on Win 7 Ultimate - and have some *nix experience. I'm now
considering venturing into the dark side (for me) - the Mac.

I want to buy a second hand Mac for two reasons;
 - doing proper Mac testing for my websites  that I build,
 - and venturing into the world of iPhone app building - this latter one
being the main reason.

I'm not a coding newby - been building code for about 30 years (latterly PHP
and Javascript) , but I haven't used C in years so a good excuse (?) to
learn Objective C.

However, I haven't got a clue about what level of Mac to buy in terms of OS
and power, and what sort of price in UK pounds I should spend. I guess I
want a laptop  as that is what I use now.

Any help is most welcome and any pointers to good UK second hand sites -
I've looked on ebay but I really don't what I'm looking at  - if it was a PC
yes, Macbook no idea :)

kind regards

Simon

database 4980 (20100328) __________