[thelist] Mac advice?

Jay Turley jayturley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 16:07:09 CDT 2010

I have to concur with this. In March of 2009, following a horrifying
and frustrating series of Vista BSODs on my new top of the line
laptop, I vowed windows would never darken my desktop again.

I then installed Ubuntu and used that as my primary OS for almost a
year. Now, while Ubuntu (among others) has brought desktop Linux to a
point where it's reasonably similar to windows in usability, it is
still a tool for power users; so much needs to be handled through the
command line.

Then in December last year, I got an iPhone, and based on its
usability, I decided to give Apple another try. I hadn't used an Apple
machine since my old iic except for a couple mac sessions in the
university computer lab.

So I bought a 13" MacBook Pro laptop and the 24" cinema display for
use in my home office. The price was a little shocking but...

Holy Moley! While the software ecosystem is pretty thin, the usability
of the OS is amazing. Like the iPhone and iPod, stuff just works.
(please no rants on closed vs. open)

I kept using my Linux machine for a month while I transitioned to the
Mac, researched the best software, and learned the tips and tricks.

And now? I use it only. I'm nowhere near an expert but my day-to-day
web dev jobs are easier and more fun. Safari kind of sucks so I am
glad there's a chrome dev channel.

But all in all, despite my dislike of some of Apples policies, the Mac
is a joy to use.

My windows boxes and dos boxes were never a "joy" in any shape or
form. And my Linux box, while stable and secure, is "clunky" to use.
The Mac just works. And you can use your command-line fu if you desire.

I recommend trying it. The premium price you pay for an apple product
is - in my mind - fairly justified because it pays for the polish that
makes it muchore usable than the alternatives.

Pros: joy to use, intuitive
Cons: learning curve, skimpy software

Jay

Sent from my iPhone