[thelist] system background process php

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 21:27:04 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
> The VPS upgrade is complete.  Now we have:
> CPU 1.98GHZ / RAM: 1344MB
> as opposed to
> CPU 1.13GHZ / RAM: 768MB.
> However the performance is still awful.
>
> I just ran some command-line ImageMagick tests after the upgrade on 2
> different servers and my Linux desktop using this command:
>
> % convert cat1500.jpg -thumbnail '100x100>' -background white -gravity
> center -extent 100x100 cat_thumb.jpg
> On the VPS server, the command takes about 18 seconds.

Perhaps you could preceed each command with strace and compare what
your PC is doing with the VPS result. Are they running exactly the
same OS? Is it exactly the same version of ImageMagick? Even if the
ImageMagick is the same it could be using a different version of a
library, which might be slow.

Anyway... just a few thoughts...

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz