[thelist] audio files (.wav)

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri Jul 9 12:57:29 CDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks all.

I haven't gone through all the options yet, but I do have a plausible
command-line linux solution.  After someone recommended .mp3 I googled
"convert .wav to .mpg" and that went a long way.  Out popped a number of
programs including 'lame' and 'sox'.  I downloaded and installed both.
This was almost too easy.  The page describing lame gave options:

% lame input.wav output.mp3
% lame -V0 -h -b 160 --vbr-new input.wav output.mp3

Original and converted files:

Track1.wav - 332478834 ( 332 MB )
Track1.w.options.mp3 - 39233264 ( 39.2 MB )
Track1.no.options.mp3 - 30157843 ( 30.2 MB )

For what I am doing probably no options will suffice for quality.
Converting to mono will be a nice plus if it saves space as well.
However, when I opened the 'original' file with audacity on the Linux
computer it will appear to load and play but there is no audio; yes it
looks like it is playing.  Makes it hard knowing where to splice it...
Later on this.

--
Bob Meetin
dotted i