[thelist] Stress Testing?

Jack Timmons codeacula at codeacula.com
Wed Jul 14 16:34:59 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Casey Crookston
<CaseyCrookston at savvysherpa.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked by my boss to stress test a new web app they plan to launch soon - they want to know how many users it will handle before performance starts to degrade.  Never done this before, and hoping someone can give me some pointers.

This is something I haven't done much of. But I personally would
likely start by writing a script (choose your language, I'd probably
head to shell) to hammer the page.

What's the metric "before performance starts to degrade"? What is
there quantifier on that? Is there a time limit they're looking for?
Should the entire page/app load in X milliseconds? Seconds?

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, stress testing is not something I've
actually cared much for since most of the apps I write are internal
only these days, and are limited to a handful of people.

--
Jack Timmons
@_Codeacula