[thelist] Customer requirements: simple?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Sep 7 10:36:25 CDT 2010

Alex Beston wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I thought I would throw up a thing for discussion.
>
> Should we answer email from people who want things that are "simple" and
> "just the basics".
>
> I think it ought to be put down as a red flag client moment and dismissed as
> such.

Pretty much in line with what you heard back already, it's good policy
to reply politely.  It takes time to learn how to sort though these
types of queries and make internal assessments efficiently.  When you're
first getting started you're so hungry to get jobs that you diligently
and thoroughly respond to even the most ridiculous requests.  So you
take some bumps and bruises over time and learn, hopefully, from the
experience, where to concentrate your efforts.

Bargain hunters seem to have infinite time to spend looking for the
bigger better deal.  Also, having spent time surfing, they see these
elaborate solutions but not the work that goes behind them.  Can you do
this like on xyz.com?  The sooner you can identify these
research-intensive proposals, the better off you'll be.  If it looks
like some technology that you want to learn, then maybe you cut a deal
with yourself.  It's your time or their time.

--
Bob Meetin