[thelist] Customer requirements: simple?

patrick pms at stoutstreet.com
Thu Sep 9 14:45:49 CDT 2010

  On 9/9/2010 3:38 pm, Martin Burns wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2010, at 05:24, Joel D Canfield wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Kevin Mulvihill  wrote:
>>
>>> Right on, Nan. That's exactly what I do too. Everyone has a price. PIAs pay
>>> top dollar.
>>
>> In the long run, you'll regret that. If you work with jerks it will wear you
>> down and affect your work for the people you like.
> Agree, but my 'bugger off' rate really was very, very high. It dissuaded *nearly* everyone, but the tiny minority who paid it paid for some nice holidays that made up for it.
>
> Mind you, thinking back, that 'bugger off' rate is less than I'm charged out at now. Closer to half, actually. And I get to work with mostly non-jerks.
>
> hmmm, maybe time to get back in the game ;-)
>
> Cheers
> Martin

Another thing to consider may be that each developer/designer has a
different tolerance level/definition of 'bugger off' clients. Sometimes
passing a potentially difficult client on to another who is better
suited/willing to handle them may be warranted. This doesn't mean
necessarily sending them to a junior dev: just someone who may not find
these types of clients that hard to deal with.

Of course, this is easier said than done.

--

patrick sanders
http://www.stoutstreet.com