[thelist] the expense of handling video uploads

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Oct 10 09:53:51 CDT 2010

I'm working on a project in which members will have the option to either
embed videos or do video uploads.  If we go with uploads we can set
limits in terms of both video size and quantity per account (perhaps
total space but that's not yet relevant).  Simple math tells me that if
the project is successful, space requirements could get out of control
very fast, bandwidth as well.  100MB or 10 minutes has been common (yes
I know they don't equate).

Thinking conservative math:

100MB * 1000 members = 100GB

Some members will never upload a video and others many.  I think the
platinum VPS hosting package tops out at around 250GB disk space plus an
arm and a leg in monthly fees. Your suggestions and options appreciated.

-Bob