[thelist] <s>Spam</s> Marketing Email Return

Jack Timmons codeacula at codeacula.com
Wed Oct 20 08:41:40 CDT 2010

As a manager of a tiny IT department, I'm pessimistic.

I instantly hate any idea I didn't think of from management because
-they just don't get it-.

This includes email marketing. I take the holier-than-thou approach of
"you shouldn't send out 3 mass mailings a month, because it's annoying
as all hells." This week I've been charged with sending out two, much
to my chagrin, although, to be fair, the first one is perfect since
its purpose is to contact our affiliates for the end-of-year updates.

You see, I don't believe in the hype of <s>spamming</s> mass email
marketing. It takes me time, because I have to convert the emails from
.doc to HTML and text. I have to create the landing pages. (We don't
have an automated system to do this, and the moment I make one they'll
want me to break it /pessimism). I believe it annoys far more people
than it brings in.

To the point: I've done a bit of typing with The Google, and
unfortunately there's too much information on what I want to find,
which is, from a business standpoint, what is an acceptable metric for
determining how effective campaigns are. I would lean with "How many
sales did we make?", but the defected side of my that cares says "What
about the people we drove away?", and technical side saying "How many
issues are we going to have now if people mark us as spam, when we
have perfectly legit business-related emails to send?"

I'm not a report writer, and my views of "doing business" differ from
those I work for, which is probably why I work for them, and they get
the big TV's.

Any assistance and/or "Quit whining, you sissy pansy" would be
appreciate. Or directions to trusted resources.

--
Jack Timmons
@_Codeacula