[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 17:51:25 CDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Greg Holmes <greg.holmes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess it depends on whether it's an important business goal for the
> website to be highly responsive at random coffee shops?
>
> If it *is* (which it might be, I suppose), then it's potentially a valid issue.

Uh, "might be"? I'd say it's increasingly likely -- people are browsing
on their phones more than ever, iPads and tablets are becoming more
prevalent, more and more "workers" are untethered and working from
not-your-father's-conventional-office locations, including coffee shops.

Some people are even advocating "mobile first" -- build your site/app
for phones first, full-size clients later -- which would have a byproduct
of improved performance, I would think.
(c.f. http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?933)

But regardless of where the access is coming from, you need to look
at where you have performance bottlenecks and fix them. That'll make
everyone's experience better, right? :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan