[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sat Oct 30 13:06:16 CDT 2010

Clear all.  In addition to the testing and optimization techniques I'm
evaluating, I'm working on a set of hopefully painless exercises that
clients can do when they encounter performance problems.  Something like:

1) Can you reach common sites and how is their response?

  * www.google.com
  * www.cnnsi.com
  * yadda
  * yadda

2) Run a speed test:

  * http://denver.speedtest.qwest.net/
            OR
  * http://www.speedtest.net/

  Optional: * http://www.dslreports.com/stest (for various device types)

3) Check DNS: http://www.intodns.com (hosting service recommended this)

4) Check from various global locations:
http://internetsupervision.com/scripts/urlcheck/check.aspx (hosting
service recommended this)

5) For diagnostics will need output of a ping or traceroute for windows,
perhaps MAC:

  * Windows: Start --> Run --> ping yourwebsite.com
  * Windows: Start --> run --> tracert yourwebsite.com

  Yeah these give information but is there a people-friendly way to
print the output?

  Or GUI version, what do you recommend OR a URL?

  * PingPlotter Standard
  * VisualTraceroute
  * 3d Traceroute
  * other, better?

  Again, the client needs a simple way to capture the output and get a
copy to me or whomever to troubleshoot.

6) The bandwidth hog - be it from home or the proverbial coffee shop, is
there a people-friendly program or URL that the client can use to
identify whether we've encountered a 'hog' situation and if so, any way
to identify the antagonist?

I have a pingdom account but the report in this instance, also my
logging reports.  I like some of the other report options that were
passed along.

Other?

- Bob