[thelist] Async uploads and response content type for json

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:23:09 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> I have a file upload that uses the hidden iframe appraoch.  The twist is
> that the response to the upload will return json (details about the upload).
>
> Currently, I have code that renders json and sets the appliation/json
> content-type and that is used for all other AJAX requests.  But for the
> upload, if the content type comes back as application/json then the browser
> will prompt to save the "file", so the work-around seems to be to return a
> text/* type of content type.
>
> My question is this:  is it possible to return a correct content type
> (applcation/json) and not have browsers ask to save?  In other words, is
> there a better approach than using an incorrect text/* content type?

In my opinion, if you are using the iframe approach, you should be
returning HTML and the JSON should be included within <script> tags.
You would then access the content using the DOM.

Returning other types of documents in an iframe is a questionable use
of the element.

--
Matt Warden
Austin, TX, USA