[thelist] Twitter

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Nov 28 09:40:05 CST 2010

Jack Timmons wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Kevin Stevens <kjs at ratking.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>   I have a client who would like a page on their site where people can add
>> to a specially set up Twitter account. I don't use Twitter, but I presume
>> you have to log in like on Facebook, so I'm wondering if this is actually
>> even possible. Has anyone else done something similar or know of an app that
>> does this?
>>

> You do need to log in usually but Twitter has an API in which you'll
> provide authentication credentials along with what you're trying to
> do. In my vast amounts of generosity, I've created the following link
> not using LMGTFY so you can do some research:
>
> http://bit.ly/cDQENQ
>
> Plenty of apps accomplish something like this, although not
> specifically. First, any sort of blog website that posts an update to
> Twitter for every new article does this. On our websites we attempt to
> use Twitter to notify our followers of new parks added to our
> directory. All of this is assuming you're saying "There will be one
> Twitter account, and trusted users will all be able to use it."
>
> - Bruce Wayne

Just a couple words of advice here.  There are undoubtedly countless
apps that shake hands with the Twitter API. But be wise and do some
testing/evaluation before you firm up a selection.  How they handle a
flaky connection is important.  Do they break, hang, display something
intelligible?  Also if you care - do they offer a content filter?
Believe it or not there are people who post things you might not care to
share with your children on Twitter.

And I believe there is at least one Twitter  FaceBook applicaton.

- not Dick Grayson