[thelist] Teach Old Programmer New Tricks

Frank Marion lists at frankmarion.com
Thu Jan 27 17:05:11 CST 2011

On 2011-01-27, at 5:28 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>> Now he is looking to get into it because
>> his other "career" has fizzled out. I told him I could advise him
>> regarding web work, but my advise would probably be to forget about
>> it.
>
> I agree from your description that it would be a tall mountain to
> climb;
> not impossible, but he would have a *lot* to learn (and unlearn) and
> it doesn't sound like he's that technically focused. And obviously he
> would be competing for work with people who live and breathe tech.
>
> And if he wants to do it -- why isn't he already? There's zero barrier
> to entry, if he's already got a PC. Tutorials, references, tools --
> all
> over the Internet, much of it free. If he can't self-start on this,
> then
> the answer really is "forget it".

It's a really delicate subject, because, really, who is one to tell
another to do it or not? And as a friend, it's a catch 22: Yea: False
hopes and potential failure, Nay: not supportive as a friend.

I personally agree with the old gu... er... Hassan, that all the
resources are available at his finger tips, and that a good way to
approach it might be "If you are interested, this is what you will
need to know as basics and  here are some good places to start." and
then let him make up is own mind as to whether he wants to plunge in
or not.

--
Frank Marion
lists [_at_] frankmarion.com