[thelist] Teach Old Programmer New Tricks

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 17:48:33 CST 2011

On 27 Jan 2011, at 22:28, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>> Any other thoughts before I tell him it doesn't sound to me like it makes sense?
>
> The "systems analyst" part could be helpful if he wanted to get into
> something less technical like "program management". Yeah, that's a
> crowded field, too, but it's OK for someone "older" with general biz
> knowledge and skills. Just a thought.

Yeah, I'd go down that route (BA, rather than Program Management, which does unfortunately take a chunk of very specific hands-on experience - while you *could* manage small projects quickly with some general nous and maturity, programs are a different game), as being able to span the technical/non-technical gap, with a good head for business process will always be useful.

Generally (and it's maybe heresy), I'd not advise *anyone* to focus on HTML/CSS as a *goal*, unless they really do have the time and focus to become a guru. And even then, you'd want *some* functional development, whether it's PHP or JS, to be able to back it up. Most of the easy stuff is now doable by frameworks; most of the hard stuff requires a  degree of guruhood.

Now some of the web UI frameworks, otoh that let you bind to application logic...
http://ukijs.org/

Cheers
Martin