[thelist] video editing on linux

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Feb 13 09:46:02 CST 2011

Closure near.

Kdenlive - it looks like a sweet little program but I ran into a problem
in that it will not let me save Flash .flv videos.  When I click to
Render all the flash options are X'd out and Save is grayed out.  I
posted this to the Kdenlive forum for advice.

% mencoder - by trial and error I learned that if you use the wrong
parameters with mencoder that videos will convert, but when I go to load
them into the Joomla video component, HD FLV Player, that they're not
recognized.  Amongst others, the following work:

% mencoder $input -of lavf -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:acodec=flv:abitrate=$rate -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vqscale=14:keyint=8 -srate 22050 -ofps 30
-o $output

mencoder $input -of lavf -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=$rate
-ofps 25 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56 -srate 22050 -o $output

$input = input file
$output = output file
$rate = video recording bitrate (768 for example)

optional: -vf scale=720 or perhaps -vf scale=720:540 (to control the size)

Somewhere I read that for a video to display reasonably well at 720px
the rate needs to be around 750-800.  I ran some tests starting at 64
and going up to 4800 and the tests seems to confirm the quality
improvement which parallels the increase in size as well. Somewhere in
the midst you pick your battle, quality vs video size.

Still no life out of the links for downloading Cinelerra (for Ubuntu).

-Bob