[thelist] how to convince customers not to copy others' content?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Mar 22 23:20:20 CDT 2011

On 03/22/2011 03:25 PM, Bob Meetin wrote:

> By the way, you mentioned Baidu.  I sometimes see it indexing some of
> my sites and wondered what it was as I have to monitor for spambots
> that cause load average problems.  Is it a good bot?  Tell us more if
> you will?

I consider Baidu bots evil, which is a direct conclusion from the
reputation of the company itself. The company gained the reputation in
lots of events like censorship, accused ignorance (if not preference) to
fake product's advertisement and so like. But it takes most market share
here (China, which is the biggest slice of Internet citizens in the
world), and is very close to a monopoly business since Google "pulled"
from China, thus practically you should give it as much attention as you
deserve attention from China's domestic market. Today morning when I
take the subway I heard non-IT people talking about something new, one
guy said "cannot you 'Baidu it' yourself?". Just trying to make a point
of its influence here.

Just to make a point again, Chinese newspaper sometimes have a special
column on their report stories, suggesting which keyword to use to
search for more details, and that column have "Baidu" logo there too.
It's equivalent to 'search on the Internet' I guess.