[thelist] Firefox, CMS, and latency

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun May 22 09:08:48 CDT 2011

On 05/21/2011 12:40 PM, Anthony Baratta wrote:
> Stupid question....How large is your browser cache? And which file system are you running under Linux? Have you fsck'd lately?
>
> --
> Anthony Baratta

The only stupid question is the unasked question. Not being the techiest on the list, I ask.

I looked at FF preferences.  I don't see a setting for browser cache size.  Browsing history is set to 7 days. Ubuntu 10.04.  FSCK - yes, in fact this seems to run weekly or so on its own.  The laptop is about 5 months old.  I had it installed dual boot as a travel/work PC.  Linux in general is exceptionally fast, Windows 7, the clandestine OS, is slow by comparison.  I also saw a similar problem on my desktop Ubuntu 9.0.4 PC.  Build up over time.

CC Cleaner - this will help someone else running windows --> thx.

For GNU/Linux I recommend BleachBit as an alternative to proprietary :http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

For what Bob needs (not just me), selecting only "vacuum" for Firefox should be sufficient. Note that if used carelessly, BleachBit *will* delete information one may well have wanted to keep. -->  Thx. I will look into this.

Firefox is somewhat famous for memory leaks. I use an extension to restart it every few hours. Extension just because it uses a shortcut.

The script tab in firebug is a bit if a hog. I keep it on but if you don't use it much, you should see a difference by turning it off.  --> this sort of talks to what I'm seeing.  so again I will need to monitor better.

--
Bob