[thelist] Firefox, CMS, and latency

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Sun May 22 09:20:48 CDT 2011

> I wonder if anyone else ever experiences this.  I am running Firefox,
> v3.6.17, on Linux. I have WebDeveloper, Firebug and ySlow installed.  Every
> now/then I run into latency problems with my CMS (especially) websites.
>  When I start Firefox it is fine.  Then after a while it starts to slow
> down, to almost crawl, and I run into severe latency.  Moving, placing the
> cursor, then typing all experience delays.

Bob! Misery loves company!!

I run 4.0.1 now on ArchLinux on a brand new i5 with 4G RAM and fast 1T
HD and I have the same problem. Firefox slows to a *crawl* every so
often and must be restarted.

The bizarre thing is that I run

sudo killall firefox

after I close it and that command often gives no message. But if I run
it twice it of course says:

firefox: no process found

To clarify: I close Firefox normally and then run killall and many
times it does NOT report "no process found" meaning AFAICT, that it
found some errant process to kill.

Anyhow, restarting FF always makes things much better. I am not able
to use another one because nothing matches Firebug for debugging, at
least nothing I ever saw.

One last note: For me, FF 4 is quite better than 3 was.

Thanks,
Fred