[thelist] IE6 returns fails to parse PNG files

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:25:44 CDT 2011

Hey all,

Bit of a shot in the dark here. This happened to the physical IE6
machine we use at work for test & debugging, but now it's also
happened to one of our virtual backups. IE6 isn't loading PNG files
over HTTP. There haven't been any service pack updates, software
installations, account modifications or such that I am aware of.

The net result is that PNG files (8 bit, alpha-8 bit, 24 bit) appear
without content, bite-size or dimensions when requested over HTTP and
parsed by IE6. Other browsers are fine. Downloading PNGs via (Save
target as) is fine, as is requesting, say a CSS file with a .png
extension.

Google has repeatedly drawn huge blanks with the occasional false
positive. Anybody ever seen anything like this? At this point, idle
theory and half-remembered anecdotes would be useful…

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com
07594 506 381