[thelist] Need a web host ok with adult content

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 14 17:06:30 CDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 17:47 -0400, Matt Warden wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Meshack <meshack at hrts.org> wrote:
> > I'm looking at the terms and conditions of web hosts and all I've seen so
> > far have a "no pornography" clause. I don't have a pornography webhost, but
> > there is a possibility of having adult content on some of the sites I host.
> > One is a photography site for a sex radio show. So there is prurient content
> > and semi-nude photos. I would hate to have a host use this clause to pull
> > the plug on the site. My current host (bluehost) by the way has the no
> > pornography clause, but there haven't been any issues so far.
> >

> > Also I'm just a firm believer in freedom of speech and I think it would be
> > good idea to support a hosting provider that isn't ready to fold from any
> > conservative pressure. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
>
> I use https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ and I'm pretty sure they only
> have issues with illegal content

+1 for nearlyfreespeech.net, and Matt is correct; NFSN is also very good
at making those that file DMCA notices get every detail right (not that
I know that from experience, mind you). If your site is high bandwidth
they might get a bit pricey because it's "pay as you go." Storage is
$0.01/MiB*month, bandwidth starts at $1/GiB and goes down, MySQL is
$0.02/day unless you need InnoDB in which case it goes up to $0.03/day
(for the first process), dynamic sites are $0.01/day, and DNS is charged
somewhere between $0.01/day and $0.01/9 days based on where the domain
is registered and hosted.

Reading that it may seem like they nickel-and-dime you but it's actually
pretty reasonable. I have four relatively low-traffic sites that run in
the $5/month range altogether.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>