[thelist] development time cost on new functionality

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 10:16:15 CDT 2011

one option: charge Client B (and C, and D) the same. Reminds me of an infamous
and famous email* that I'll paraphrase: "I'm paying you for five minutes of
effort, " "You're paying me for five minutes of effort and years of experence."

another option: --if you know it will be resold-- normalize the fees across all
clients

sgd

* http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html

________________________________
From: patrick <pms at stoutstreet.com>

> Then along comes client B who needs the same application, then perhaps another.
>Once this function has been developed, it requires minimal effort to package it
>and apply to the next situation.  What is appropriate, to charge client B for
>the installation/configuration time only, or to add some additional licensing,
>whatever you might call it, cost to the package?

Unless you are positive you will be able to reuse the code elsewhere, you need
to price to recoup costs/make profit the first time around. Subsequent uses can
be priced just the same, since client B still needs to value your time and
experience.