[thelist] mobile expectation

David Laakso david at chelseacreekstudio.com
Thu Nov 3 17:26:08 CDT 2011

On 11/2/11 4:10 PM, Bob Meetin wrote:
> Thank you Ron, Erik and David.  This is good feedback. My eyes are
> tired and I've also resisted getting absorbed into the mobile
> universe.  It's really a different mindset.  Much of what I'm hearing
> is accessibility, and common sense.
>
> Like I might have said, I picked up a used iPod solely for the purpose
> of testing. Unfortunately it went south a couple days ago so I can't
> truly live the experience.  With Firefox I have an add-on called User
> Agent Switcher.  It provides a view for iPhone, also IE.  When I go to
> iPhone 3.0 mode it will recognize sites that have been designed with
> mobile views, but with those that haven't (no detection) it delivers
> the default desktop site.  In this mode dropdown menus work, so what
> you say is good feedback. A navigable site map would be critical for
> these.
>

> -Bob

There is a vast difference between what one might achieve on a portable
device [tablet] compared with what one might achieve on low to high end
smart phones [mobile-handsets]. A tablet might  hold a two-column layout
in portrait-view. Such may not be the same on a mobile-handset --
portrait or landscape view. Seems to me the layout needs to be device,
rather than whim, driven.

--
Desktop. Laptop. Tablet. Mobile!
http://chelseacreekstudio.com/