[thelist] Video and Mobile Devices

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 13:23:30 CST 2012

For my money, the best practical guide to the implications of cross-platform video is still Video for Everyone [1], especially since Mark Pilgrim left the Internet and his excellent guide Dive Into HTML5 dissappears with him. I can testify to having built with this guide and after a few server-side tweaks and hand-refactoring of video data — sadly the project never saw the light of day. However I'm also of the mind that, unless total control of the availability of the video data is necessary, YouTube is far easier: All the conversion, code-forking and server issues are taken care of right out of the box.

Worth pointing out that the author of the aforementioned VfE believes it is already outdated and that we should not be maintaining Flash video [2]…

1. http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody
2. http://camendesign.com/code/end_of_vfe

Regards,

Barney Carroll