[thelist] setting team standards and guidelines

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 14:37:49 CDT 2012

Yeah, I'd agree with Hassan.

Work out what your True North is (ie unreadable perfection) - you want to be able to
Never unrecoverably overwrite each others changes
Merge code
Be able to find build breaking problems almost instantly
Keep code manageable (2000 line methods: probably unhelpful)
Be able to regression test new code without pain
Release features as soon/late as they're ready rather than work to artificial deadlines
Etc etc
And then get the team to come up with why you can't do that now, and solutions that are closer to the goal. Reaching it in one step isn't necessary, as long as you keep taking steps towards it.

Read W Edwards Deming - A Bad System Will Beat A Good Person Every Time

cheers
Martin