[thelist] How to find the bandwidth hog(s) on my LAN?

Francis Marion francis.marion at sfroy.com
Mon May 7 09:30:44 CDT 2012

I'm not a networking genius, I've got fundamental working skills, but I could use some advice on the matter. There is one or more machines on our network that is causing our pipe to be steadily saturated. There are hard-wired machines and some wifi connections.

We have a couple of Mac file-sharing servers and a couple of SVN/iChat servers.

What tools can I use, and how can I get a listing of all the connections and see the amount of in & out that they are using? In a perfect world (I don't know if this is possible) I would have a list or map of all the connections on my LAN with the machine identifiers and some sort of numeric or chart info that would be more or less easy to find at a glance.

Part of the problem that I'm experiencing right now is that I don't know how to get the total of all the ports on all the machines. Is it YouTube? FTP? Streaming radio? I don't know how to suss that out.

I do have *some* familiarity with WireShark. If that's the tool to use, can someone recommend a good URL?

Thanks for your advice.

--
Francis Marion
francis.marion at sfroy.com