[thelist] is there a service for testing various internet/broadband speeds?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Aug 21 08:50:43 CDT 2012

I have broadband internet, but relatively slow by today's standards, 1.5 Mbps.  Is there a service where you can test a site/page over some of the faster speeds, say 3Mbps, 5 Mbsp or 15 Mbps. Without upgrading (and I could actually upgrade for less money, don't want to upgrade) I would like to get a feel for what the other guy sees.

Or if not a service is there a chart that might make for a guesstimate taking into account common factors that would impact page delivery speed? Meaning that this is not simple math and doubling the connection speed will not half the load speed.  A news site that loads now in 30 seconds will not load in 15 seconds on a 3Mbps connection.  Maybe expect 20-25, I don't know. Make sense?

Bob