[thelist] Career model for developers at a non-IS company?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Oct 12 14:47:12 CDT 2012

Hi Sean,

[top posting since we're deeply in corporate Information Services
culture, here]

First, a note on jargon: I'm amused that you call it IS (Information
Services) at your company.  That name implies (to me) that upper
management at this company considers computers, technology and software
development to be a "service".  Like the electricity or the water
supply.  Turn it on, consume it, turn it off when you're done with it.
Source it from the cheapest commodity supplier you can find.

Most medium to large (say, a couple hundred employees or more) companies
-- OUTSIDE of the software development business itself -- categorize
software developers as a sub-unit of their "IT" "IS" or "MIS"
department, which really consists largely of just hardware services
(office-networking, workstation, printers and Windows support).  At one
company I worked for they called us the pixel-pushers -- and we called
them the mouse repairmen :-)

Point being, if I'm a software developer and that's the career path I
want to continue on, I need to find a company where their custom
software is critical to their success, where I will be valued, and as I
advance, rewarded.  If I find myself in an IS, IT or MIS dept I know I'm
just a cog in their wheel and I need to find a company where the
software, the user experience, the performance and quality of it -- is
*critical* to their success.  If the manufacturer I work for buys most
of its software off the shelf, and thinks outsourcing offshore is a
great way to save money, how important can the relatively much more
expensive local developers like me that they have on staff -- who
develop only a fraction of their software -- actually be to them?

Also I ask myself: who are the users of my software?  If it's the
company's internal staff, I know I am doomed -- if it's their
*customers* on the other hand, then I may have a *chance* to make an
actual difference to their bottom line there.

I have to say though, it sounds you may be teetering at or near the top
of your ladder at that place already!

-dave