[thelist] Interview question: No CS degree?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:12:45 CDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM, erik mattheis <gozz at gozz.com> wrote:
> Today I was asked how I've compensated for the fact that I don't have
> a CS degree.
>
> How would you have answered this question?

"Degree? Degree? Baby, I got 98.6 degrees of burnin' enthusiasm!"

If that seems inappropriate I just tell 'em that I dropped out of college
in my senior year as part of my master plan to surf and smoke dope
until I got drafted. Which -- impeccable planning, flawless execution --
worked out exactly as expected.

If they need more, I regale them with the story of how I wound up
working for IBM fixing keypunch machines because I'd applied for
food stamps (thereby forcing me to  give up a promising career in
commercial sandwich preparation and dishwashing).

Though at this point, as a free-lance (mostly Rails) developer that
whole area is pretty much irrelevant  :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan