[thelist] should user account pages be SSL?

Renoir Boulanger renoirb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:39:41 CST 2013

Hello

We are in 2013. The idea of non ssl-izing all pages was, back then, because it gives an overhead on every requests (files, pages, etc) and servers weren't strong enough.

If you want to have advice regarding SSL and security, my resource is the "Security Now!" podcast. They talk a lot about it and even give you a complete burn down on how it works. The podcast is HEAVILY instructive, one cannot listen without putting all his concentration on it.

As for credibility, he lives by selling a hard drive recovery software, not SSL certs :)

Have a look namely on the episodes explaining Firesheep, and DNS, mostly the DNS Poisoning one.

There are a lot about SSL, DNS, DNSSEC, and phishing.

As for my introduction "we are in 2013", here as it goes.
1. People knows SSL is at least giving the safety of a handshake communication between browser and server
2. Cookies are safe in that communication, cannot make cross-domain cookies
3. People trust it. Even though we all know that it is a chain of trust of Z trusts Y, trusts X, trusts at least we have a shared secret until something better comes
4. Something better arrived (see SN 376, "Fullly Homomorphic Encryption"), but it takes VERY HUGE machines, and a key of only a few Terra of size

Hope I given a few sparks of curiosity to people around here :)

RB